Department of Computer Science
Post-doc research fellow at the University of Turin (Italy) Department of
Computer Science, (Interaction Models Group). A Ph.D. (dottorato di ricerca) in Communication Sciences at the University of Salerno (Ph.D. supervisor: Prof. Marcello Frixione) and a BA (thesis in Logics)
and a Master Degree cum laude received by the same university (topics: logics, computer science, cognitive science). I am an author of Nova Lab Il Sole 24 Ore.
In June 2008 I was a visiting scholar (tutor: Prof. Tsvi Kuflik) at University of Haifa (Israel) - MIS Department (Management of Information Systems Department). In 2013 I founded the series of international worksops on "Artificial Intelligence and Cognition" (AIC) and I was general chair of the first 4 editions. Since April 2014 I also received the affiliation to the ICAR-C.N.R. Institute of Palermo (Cognitive Robotics and Social Sensing Group). Since 2015 I am a member of the IEEE Technical Committee on Cognitive Robotics.
Research Interests: My research is at the intersection of Cognitive Sciences and Artificial Intelligence. In particular I am mainly focused on the following topics: - Computational Models of Mind and Cognitive Architectures - Ontologies - Foundational aspects of Knowledge Representation and Conceptual Modelling - Decision Making and Persuasive Technologies.
- [May 2, 2016]: The paper "
Dual PECCS: A Cognitive System for Conceptual Representation and Categorization" (authors: myself, Daniele Radicioni and Valentina Rho) has been accepted for publication in the
Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence (JETAI) Taylor and Francis, UK.
- [21-24 April 2016]: Invited talk at the International School on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures that will be held in Moscow (Russia) from April 21-24 2016. The school is organized and sponsored by the Russian Science Foundation (RSF) and by the BICA Society.
Invitee: Prof. Alexei Samsonovich (George Mason University, USA and NRNU MEPhI, Department of Cybernetics, Russia). Title of the talk: "Computational Explanation in BICA"
- [15 March 2016]: The paper Ontologies, Disorders and Prototypes" (authors: Cristina Amoretti, Marcello Frixione, myself and Greta Adamo) has been accepted at the IACAP 2016 Conference that will be held in Ferrara, Italy.
- [December 2015]: The webpage of AIC 2016 (co-organized in NYC with Mehul Bhatt, Alessandro Oltramari and David Vernon and co-located with IJCAI 2016), is now online "AIC 2016, 4th International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Cognition".
- [17-21 September 2015]: Invited talk at the Symposium on "Bridging Cognitive Psychology and Artificial Intelligence" @ ESCOP 2015 (19th Conference of the European Society for Cognitive Psychology), Paphos Cyprus (invitee: Prof. Antonis Kakas, University of Cyprus, Dept. of Computer Science).
Other invited speakers of the same Symposium are: Peter Gärdenfors and Pat Langley.
- [April 16, 2015]: The paper "A Common-Sense Conceptual Categorization System Integrating Heterogeneous Proxytypes and the Dual Process of Reasoning" (authors: myself, Daniele Radicioni and Valentina Rho) has been accepted as full paper at
IJCAI 2015 Conference that will be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina from July 25th to July 31st, 2015.
- [August 2014]: My paper "A Computational Framework for Concept Representation in Cognitive Systems and Architectures: Concepts as Heterogeneous Proxytypes" has been accepted to the BICA 2014, 5th Internat. Conference of Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures to be held in Boston, USA, 7-9 November 2014 at MIT.
- [17 April 2014]: Invited talk (invitee: Ph.D. Silvano Zipoli Caiani, University of Milan, Department of Philosophy): "Concepts: on the need of an integrated perspective in AI", Neurophilosophy Seminar, University of Milan, Italy.
- [7 March 2014]: Invited talk (invitee: Prof. Christian Freksa, University of Bremen, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Cognitive Systems Group): "A cognitive approach for modeling and reasoning on common sense knowledge in computational ontologies", Spatial Cognition Colloquium Workshop, University of Bremen, Germany, March 2014.
- [20-22 February 2013]: Invited talk (invitee: Prof. Ismo Koponen, University of Helsinki) "Concepts, (Formal) Ontologies and Conceptual Change" at ConChaMo4 workshop, Helsinki, Finland. Full Program available here (Pdf). A summary of the workshop is available on the blog "Cognitive Systems"
Research Community activities:
- I'm one of the proponents (with Cristina Battaglino, Elena Gianaria, Marco Indaco, Alice Ruggeri, Manuela Sanguinetti) of the project "E-Lisir", that won a funding of 747k euros in the national competition Smart Cities and Communities and Social Innovation.
- July 2012. Mini project award at SSSW2012 International Summer School on Ontology Engineering and Semantic Web, Cercedilla (Madrid), Spain. Project: Semi-Automatic Detection of Ontology Patterns. Team Members: M. Alirezaie (Orebro University, Sweden), A. Lieto (University of Turin, Italy), R. Khefifi (University of Paris Sud, France), C.Tampitsikas (University of Lugano, Switzerland).
- July 2011. XXIII ESSLLI Summer School (European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information), Ljubliana, Slovenia. I was one of the 4 students awarded with a full grant over hundreds of applicants: Links to the results: http://esslli2011.ijs.si/?p=1554.
- January 2009. Winner of the CEME Project (Casertan Excellence Mobility Experience) within the Leonardo Da Vinci European Program (declined).
Since 2012 I have been reviewer for the following journals:
- Foundations of Science Journal, Springer. Berlin.
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
- Applied Ontology, IOS Press. Amsterdam.
- Knowledge-based Systems, Elsevier. Amsterdam.
- Connection Science, Taylor and Francis, UK.
- Cognitive Systems Research, Elsevier. Amsterdam.
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- BICA Journal (Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architecture), Elsevier. Amsterdam.
- Baltic International YearBook of Cognition, Logic and Communication.
- Sistemi Intelligenti, Il Mulino. Bologna.
- Rivista Italiana di Filosofia Analitica.
Since 2012 I have been member of the Program Comittee for the following conferences:
- Program Comittee of BICA 2016 Conference, 7th International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 16-19 July 2016, New York, USA.
- Program Comittee of Spatial Cognition 2016 Conference, 7th International Conference on Spatial Cognition, 2-5 August 2016, Philadelphia, USA.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2016 Conference, X International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 9-13 October 2016, Venice, Italy.
- Program Comittee of BICA 2015 Conference, 6th International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 6-8 November 2015, Lyon, France.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2015 Conference, Ninth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 19-24 July 2015, Nice, France.
- Program Comittee of BICA 2014, 5th International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 7-9 November 2014, MIT - Massachussets Institute of Technology, Boston, USA.
- Program Comittee of Spatial Cognition 2014 Conference, Sixth International Conference on Spatial Cognition, 15-19 September 2014, Bremen, Germany.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2014 Conference, Eighth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 24-28 August 2014, Roma, Italy.
- Program Comittee of AISC 2014 Conference, XI Annual Congress of the Italian Association for Cognitive Science, 2-5 December 2014, Roma, Italy.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2013 Conference, Seventh International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 29 September - October 3 2013, Porto, Portugal.
- Program Comittee of AISC 2013 Conference, X Annual Congress of the Italian Association for Cognitive Science, 20-22 September 2013, Napoli, Italy.
- Reviewer for LREC 2016 Conference, X International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 23-28 May, Portoroz, Slovenia.
- Reviewer for AI*IA 2015 Conference, XV International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence, 23-25 September, Reggio Emilia. Italy.
- Reviewer for SEMANTICS 2015 Conference, 11th International Conference on Semantic Systems Vienna, 15-17 September, Vienna, Austria.
- Reviewer for AI*IA 2013 Conference, XIII International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence, 4-6 December, Torino. Italy.
- Reviewer for SMAP 2012, 7th Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP) workshop. 3-4 December 2012. Luxembourg.
Co-authors of my papers are (uncomplete list):
Marcello Frixione, Vincenzo Lombardo, Rossana Damiano, Daniele P. Radicioni, Diego Marconi, Tsvi Kuflik, Mark A. Finlayson, Giovanni Pilato, Agnese Augello, Ignazio Infantino, Annibale Elia.
Countries I visited (23 states, 10,2% of the world states)