Department of Computer Science
Post-doc research fellow at the University of Turin (Italy) Department of
Computer Science, (Interaction Models Group). A Ph.D. (dottorato di ricerca) in Communication Sciences at the University of Salerno (Ph.D. supervisor: Prof. Marcello Frixione) and a BA (thesis in Logics)
and a Master Degree cum laude received by the same university (topics: logics, computer science, cognitive science). I am an author of Nova Lab Il Sole 24 Ore. I have been Visiting Researcher at the University of Haifa (Israel, Dept. of Information Systems, June 2008, host: Prof. Tsvi Kuflik),
Carnegie Mellon University (USA, Dept. of Psychology and School of Computer Science, May-July 2016; host: Prof. Christian Lebiere) and Lund University (Sweden, Dept. of Cognitive Science, August-September 2016; host: Prof. Peter Gärdenfors).
In 2013 I founded the series of international workshops on "Artificial Intelligence and Cognition" (AIC) and I was general chair of the first 4 editions. Since April 2014 I also received the affiliation to the ICAR-C.N.R. Institute of Palermo (Cognitive Robotics and Social Sensing Group). Since 2015 I am a member of the IEEE Technical Committee on Cognitive Robotics.
For the academic year 2016-2017 I am a "Professore a contratto" (equivalent of Adjunct Professor) at the University of Turin and at the University of Genoa (Italy) for introductory courses in Web Technologies and Computer Science for Humanities (more info in the teaching section).
Starting from November 2016 to December 2019 I am an elected have member of the Steering Comittee of the Italian Cognitive Science Society. For the same period, I have been appointed as Vice-President of the Society.
Research Interests: My research is at the intersection of Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence. In particular I am mainly focused on the following topics: - Computational Models of Mind and Cognitive Architectures - Ontologies - Foundational aspects of Knowledge Representation and Conceptual Modelling - Decision Making and Persuasive Technologies.
- [November 2016]: I have been appointed Vice-President of the Italian Society for Cognitive Science (AISC) after being elected Member of the Scientific Steering Committee of the Society.
- [November 2016]: I have joined the Editorial Board of the BICA Journal (Elsevier) on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures
- [May-July 2016 and Aug-Sep 2016]: In these periods I will be a visiting researcher at Carnegie Mellon University, USA (host: Prof. Christian Lebiere, School of Computer Science and Department of Psychology) and at Lund University, Sweden, Department of Cognitive Science (host: Prof. Peter Gärdenfors) working on a common project aiming at investigating if/how/to what extent the current KR frameworks of Cognitive Architectures can be extended with Conceptual Spaces in order to grasp some
aspect of human conceptualization that are only partially addressed by such systems.
- [May 2, 2016]: The paper "
Dual PECCS: A Cognitive System for Conceptual Representation and Categorization" (authors: myself, Daniele Radicioni and Valentina Rho) has been accepted for publication in the
Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence (JETAI) Taylor and Francis, UK.
- [21-24 April 2016]: Invited talk at the International School on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures that will be held in Moscow (Russia) from April 21-24 2016. The school is organized and sponsored by the Russian Science Foundation (RSF) and by the BICA Society.
Invitee: Prof. Alexei Samsonovich (George Mason University, USA and NRNU MEPhI, Department of Cybernetics, Russia). Title of the talk: "Computational Explanation in BICA"
- [15 March 2016]: The paper Rappresentare i disordini mentali mediante ontologie" (authors: Cristina Amoretti, Marcello Frixione, myself) has been accepted at the AISC 2016 Conference held in Napoli, Italy.
- [December 2015]: The webpage of AIC 2016 (co-organized in NYC with Mehul Bhatt, Alessandro Oltramari and David Vernon and co-located with IJCAI 2016), is now online "AIC 2016, 4th International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Cognition".
- [17-21 September 2015]: Invited talk at the Symposium on "Bridging Cognitive Psychology and Artificial Intelligence" @ ESCOP 2015 (19th Conference of the European Society for Cognitive Psychology), Paphos Cyprus (invitee: Prof. Antonis Kakas, University of Cyprus, Dept. of Computer Science).
Other invited speakers of the same Symposium are: Peter Gärdenfors and Pat Langley.
- [April 16, 2015]: The paper "A Common-Sense Conceptual Categorization System Integrating Heterogeneous Proxytypes and the Dual Process of Reasoning" (authors: myself, Daniele Radicioni and Valentina Rho) has been accepted as full paper at
IJCAI 2015 Conference that will be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina from July 25th to July 31st, 2015.
- [August 2014]: My paper "A Computational Framework for Concept Representation in Cognitive Systems and Architectures: Concepts as Heterogeneous Proxytypes" has been accepted to the BICA 2014, 5th Internat. Conference of Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures to be held in Boston, USA, 7-9 November 2014 at MIT.
- [17 April 2014]: Invited talk (invitee: Ph.D. Silvano Zipoli Caiani, University of Milan, Department of Philosophy): "Concepts: on the need of an integrated perspective in AI", Neurophilosophy Seminar, University of Milan, Italy.
- [7 March 2014]: Invited talk (invitee: Prof. Christian Freksa, University of Bremen, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Cognitive Systems Group): "A cognitive approach for modeling and reasoning on common sense knowledge in computational ontologies", Spatial Cognition Colloquium Workshop, University of Bremen, Germany, March 2014.
- [20-22 February 2013]: Invited talk (invitee: Prof. Ismo Koponen, University of Helsinki) "Concepts, (Formal) Ontologies and Conceptual Change" at ConChaMo4 workshop, Helsinki, Finland. Full Program available here (Pdf). A summary of the workshop is available on the blog "Cognitive Systems"
Research Community activities:
- I'm one of the proponents (with Cristina Battaglino, Elena Gianaria, Marco Indaco, Alice Ruggeri, Manuela Sanguinetti) of the project "E-Lisir", that won a funding of 747k euros in the national competition Smart Cities and Communities and Social Innovation.
- July 2012. Mini project award at SSSW2012 International Summer School on Ontology Engineering and Semantic Web, Cercedilla (Madrid), Spain. Project: Semi-Automatic Detection of Ontology Patterns. Team Members: M. Alirezaie (Orebro University, Sweden), A. Lieto (University of Turin, Italy), R. Khefifi (University of Paris Sud, France), C.Tampitsikas (University of Lugano, Switzerland).
- July 2011. XXIII ESSLLI Summer School (European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information), Ljubliana, Slovenia. I was one of the 4 students awarded with a full grant over hundreds of applicants: Links to the results: http://esslli2011.ijs.si/?p=1554.
- January 2009. Winner of the CEME Project (Casertan Excellence Mobility Experience) within the Leonardo Da Vinci European Program (declined).
Since 2012 I have been reviewer for the following journals:
- Foundations of Science Journal, Springer. Berlin.
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
- Applied Ontology, IOS Press. Amsterdam.
- Knowledge-based Systems, Elsevier. Amsterdam.
- Connection Science, Taylor and Francis, UK.
- Cognitive Systems Research, Elsevier. Amsterdam.
- Robotics and Autonomous Systems. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- BICA Journal (Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architecture), Elsevier. Amsterdam.
- Review of Philosophy and Psychology, Springer, Berlin.
- Baltic International YearBook of Cognition, Logic and Communication.
- Sistemi Intelligenti, Il Mulino. Bologna.
- Rivista Italiana di Filosofia Analitica.
Since 2012 I have been member of the Program Comittee for the following conferences:
- Program Comittee of Spatial Cognition 2016 Conference, 7th International Conference on Spatial Cognition, 2-5 August 2016, Philadelphia, USA.
- Program Comittee of BICA 2016 Conference, 7th International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 16-19 July 2016, New York, USA.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2016 Conference, X International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 9-13 October 2016, Venice, Italy.
- Program Comittee of BICA 2015 Conference, 6th International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 6-8 November 2015, Lyon, France.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2015 Conference, Ninth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 19-24 July 2015, Nice, France.
- Program Comittee of BICA 2014, 5th International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, 7-9 November 2014, MIT - Massachussets Institute of Technology, Boston, USA.
- Program Comittee of Spatial Cognition 2014 Conference, Sixth International Conference on Spatial Cognition, 15-19 September 2014, Bremen, Germany.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2014 Conference, Eighth International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 24-28 August 2014, Roma, Italy.
- Program Comittee of AISC 2014 Conference, XI Annual Congress of the Italian Association for Cognitive Science, 2-5 December 2014, Roma, Italy.
- Program Comittee of SEMAPRO 2013 Conference, Seventh International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing, 29 September - October 3 2013, Porto, Portugal.
- Program Comittee of AISC 2013 Conference, X Annual Congress of the Italian Association for Cognitive Science, 20-22 September 2013, Napoli, Italy.
- Reviewer for LREC 2016 Conference, X International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 23-28 May, Portoroz, Slovenia.
- Reviewer for AI*IA 2015 Conference, XV International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence, 23-25 September, Reggio Emilia. Italy.
- Reviewer for SEMANTICS 2015 Conference, 11th International Conference on Semantic Systems Vienna, 15-17 September, Vienna, Austria.
- Reviewer for AI*IA 2013 Conference, XIII International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence, 4-6 December, Torino. Italy.
- Reviewer for SMAP 2012, 7th Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP) workshop. 3-4 December 2012. Luxembourg.
Co-authors of my papers are (uncomplete list):
Marcello Frixione, Rossana Damiano, Vincenzo Lombardo, Daniele P. Radicioni, Diego Marconi, Tsvi Kuflik, Antonio Chella, Mark A. Finlayson, Giovanni Pilato, Agnese Augello, Ignazio Infantino, Annibale Elia.
Countries I visited (24 states, 10,6% of the world states)